How to Make a Hole Without a Drill
Drills are an important category of tools that enable you to carry out difficult jobs with ease. One of the biggest benefits of a drill is that it simplifies the task of making holes in hard surfaces. However, not every home owns an electric drill. Also, in some cases drilling can be unsuitable for soft surfaces like ordinary wood or plastic, which is likely to strip off under the pressure of the drill bit. So if you’ve found yourself in one of these situations, we’ve got some instructions on how to make a hole without a drill.
How to Drill Hole Without a Drill | 4 Methods
Like most things in life, there are a few different ways to make a hole without a drill. Below you’ll find four different ways to go about it:
Hammer a Nail
The simplest way to make a hole without a drill is using a nail. Simply pick a nail that is close to the size of the hole you’d like to make and hammer it into the material. Then simply pull it out and you’ll have a hole. This method is ideal for soft surfaces like sheetrock walls.
If the material is lightweight, like a thin sheet of metal, a screwdriver can be used to drill the hole. Just place the tip of the screwdriver where you’d like to place the hole and tap the other end gently with a hammer.
Further, if you happen to have an electric screwdriver it will work in the same way as a cordless drill. What you need to do is to mark the point, choose the best drill bit, pull the trigger, and let the driver make the hole.
If you’re trying to make a large hole in wood without a drill, using a chisel is your best route. Here’s what you need to do:
• Place the tip of the chisel against the wood and strike it with a hammer, keeping it perpendicular to the surface.
• Strike 2 to 3 times creating a circular impression in the wood.
• Now tip the chisel at an angle of 30 degrees and continue the process until you’ve made a hole.
A bow drill is a simple rotational hand-operated tool that can be easily prepared in the home. This tool has been used for centuries for making precise tiny holes without a drill.
• Use two wooden sticks and connect a strong piece of string on both ends. One will serve as the bow while the other must have a pointed end on one side and a handhold on the other.
• Wrap the bow around the stick.
• Locate the pointed end of the stick on the point where the hole has to be made.
• Drill into the wood by pushing hard on the handhold and moving the bow. The pressure of the stick will force its way through the wood thus creating a hole.
It’s a bit primitive, but it works!
Can You Drill a Hole Without a Drill?
As you have seen, you can definitely drill a hole without a drill. While having a cordless drill for use around the house would probably make like easier, it’s not a necessity. Just be careful, because making a hole without a drill can be tricky. For example, it can be hard to make the hole straight, or if you’re making a hole in wood without a drill, it’s easy to split it.
At the end of the day, we’d suggest picking up a cheap drill if you foresee yourself needing to make a hole. But if you’re a strong-willed individual, give the techniques above a try!